previous page   Pak Vet J, 2013, 33(1): 27-31   next page
 
Effects of Urea and Copper Sulphate on Some Serum Biochemical and Meat Parameters in Broiler Chicken
 
A. Rasool, M. Tariq Javed*, Masood Akhtar1, S. Shabbir Bhatti, M. N. Shahzad and Riaz Hussain2
Department of Pathology, 1Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad; 2University College of Veterinary and Animal Science, The Islamia University of Bahawalpur-63000, Pakistan
*Corresponding author: javedmt@gmail.com

Abstract   

In this study we analysed some of the serum enzymes, urea and creatinine to understand the pathological changes occurring in different organs of the broilers due to use of urea and copper. The feeding of urea and copper together for 15 days at or higher than 2% urea + 1gm copper sulphate caused significant rise in serum ALT, AST, AKP and creatinine. With further increase in time of 15 days, the levels of urea and LDH also increased significantly, this was seen even in birds fed 1% urea + 250 mg copper sulphate. We found increase in serum urea even in 1% urea fed birds and in all other groups where combination was used, however, serum creatinine increased significantly (P<0.05) only in birds fed 2% urea+1 gm copper sulphate or higher than these levels. The combined use of urea and copper sulphate resulted in changes in moisture, ash, crude protein and potassium in thigh and breast meat of broilers. The results of the present study suggest damaging effects of higher levels of urea and copper, alone or together and change in meat quality with lower protein contents and higher salt levels in meat of broilers. Thus the use of urea and copper sulphate together is not recommended in broilers, especially at 1% urea and 250mg copper sulphate or higher. The results of the study can be helpful to poultry farmers, pathologists and nutritionists who are involved in augmentation the meat quality and also to general public with special reference to people having hypertension as the meat salt levels may be higher with use of the these compounds in the broiler ration.

Key words: Broilers, Copper, Enzymes, Meat, Urea

 
   

ISSN 0253-8318 (Print)
ISSN 2074-7764 (Online)






 
 
 

Visitors:
Free Web Counter